GSPxChange

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Going Beyond the Call of your Gaming Degree.

Go down

Going Beyond the Call of your Gaming Degree. Empty Going Beyond the Call of your Gaming Degree.

Post  Admin Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:37 pm

Fellow students,

A gaming degree program is probably on of the most intense programs a university can offer, and I didn't understand this when I signed up for one at DeVry University. In fact, I wasn't too big of a game player anyway. Actually, I just wanted to get in some exciting field of technology and dig my heels in. Are you the same way, or do you feel that you've always have had a passion for games and this is the industry where you belong? A degree in game design or programming will give you an edge in the job market, but it cannot guarantee everyone will like you just because you earned a degree and are a skilled programmer. Students need to go beyond the requirements of the GSP program and their bachelor's degree and spend time outside of the class preparing for your gaming future. Here are some tips

I. Plan Ahead
In a career guide published by Edge Magazine's online edition (click here), planning for your career should start before you graduate. The guide, which was put together with the help of industry experts, states that students should "begin planning your career early", and "ensure that you have a strong portfolio of work, consisting of examples from your course and, importantly, extra-curricular projects." This is important to get an edge over those who are just complacent with a degree, but also to show that you are passionate about what you are doing. Excited yet! If you're not, watch this inspirational trailer for a documentary called 'Us and the Game Industry' coming out soon.

II. Passionate Pursuits
Your degree does mean a lot to employers, and a good passion about things other than games is the cherry on top of that piece of paper ( cherry ). A degree shows companies that you've committed the time to studying and improving your skills and expanding your horizon. However, that alone will not suffice when you're sitting in front of a prospective employer. They want to see creativity.

If you have watched the video above (I recommend that you do), you'll hear one of the designers tell you that most game developers do more than just make games. They are generally good at, and likely passionate about, more than one thing in life. This shows that you have a creative personality, which game companies need. You got it! Okay, so say you have passions other than games, and that you have a genuinely good portfolio, now are you going to be okay in the industry? According to Bob Bates, a famous game designer and two time IGDA chairperson (plus much more), "Anyone who wants to lead a creative life quickly runs into all kinds of difficulties no matter what field they're in. Finding meaning in their work, dealing with rejection, surviving identity crises, and sometimes battling depression and addictions."

If you have problems with any of these, there are some resources (hopefully) that your school offers. I know that my school does through their ASPIRE program. I am not advertising for them, but I do know from personal experience that they respond to you usually within 24 hours.

III. Ready-to-go Portfolio
Here are some articles which garner advice, tips, and opinions from professionals in the industry for you to help guide you:

• Industry Portfolio Answers for Aspiring 3D Game Artists -GameCore

Also, here are some portfolios of some game designers that you may hopefully take something from:

Admin
Admin

https://gspxchange.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum